Monday, May 19, 2014

Legendary Ruby's owner Roger Rubinow a/k/a Sonny Rogers has died


It is hard for me to relay this news because I have a longstanding personal and professional relationship with Sonny Rogers (Roger Rubinow). His son, Russ, called to tell me that he has lost his dad. It happened this past Friday, May 16, during surgery. There just isn't anything that can ameliorate the pain and the loss. Sonny was a great person and a joy to be with both professionally and personally. For those of you who may not know, Sonny was the proprietor of Ruby's – a mainstay of the finest corned beef in the land – on Main St. for many years. He was also a percussionist/musician/bandleader since the '60s (the Jolly Gents among his bands), a member of the Middletown Symphonic Band, and my go-to guy for administering the Summer Sounds concerts for the past 15 years. I am really going to miss him.

The funeral arrangements -
Wednesday May 21st: Service beginning 11am at Biegas with calling hours from 9:00am to 10:30 am with a Military burial following at Veterans cemetery in Middletown. His obituary will be featured in the Hartford Courant, Middletown Press and New Britain Herald tomorrow.

4 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

Roger was a pure delight. I always looked forward to coming for lunch at Ruby's. The photo in the Middletown Press shows his radiance and positivity.
He was one the bright lights in one's daily life in downtown Middletown.

My thought are with the Rubinow family. What a great guy.

Lyn Shaw said...

So often for years I had break fast at Ruby's. Always smiles from Sonny and his family. This town- and doubtless Glastonbury where he and his wife had moved, will lose a little luster and gaiety without him, his generosity and his music, but the memories are precious and lasting.

James Sipperly said...

In memory of Roger I'm drinking out of the cup he gave me the last day he was open! We were good customers and he was a great guy!!!! I think I'll have a corned beef reuben for dinner!

Mr. Fixit said...

@Lyn Shaw: Present residence of Betty and Roger(R.I.P.)Rubinow; South Main St. here in Middletown. They did not move to Glastonbury.