Friday, November 4, 2011

Profile of Ballot Question #1: McMahon for Police Chief

Deputy Chief Patrick McMahon was nominated to be Chief of Police by Mayor Giuliano, but his nomination was not confirmed by the Common Council. During the summer, citizen activists collected over 2000 signatures on a petition to have the Council decision overturned, leading to a ballot initiative. Last month, Mayor Giuliano withdrew McMahon's nomination, however, the initiative remains on the ballot.

The below information is a part of the Eye's Elections 2011 series to provide information to voting citizens and does not represent any endorsement by the Middletown Eye or any of its authors. The following was submitted by Patrick McMahon.

----------------
On Tuesday, November 8th we, the voters of this community will have an historic opportunity, one that no other Middletown voter has ever had. It is the chance to “elect” the next chief of police.

Several months ago a group of citizens grew tired of the political wrangling that prevented the city from having a permanent police chief. They examined the charter, which states that matters of public interest can be brought before the electorate. Once they brought forward the issue of having a permanent police chief, the issue was certified by the Town Clerk as a matter of public interest, and more than two thousand of you signed the petition to place this issue on the ballot and into the hands of the voters.

The ballot question that awaits your consideration on November 8th states; Shall resolution 7-1 as proposed at the January 3, 2011 meeting of the Common Council approving and confirming the appointment of Patrick T. McMahon as Chief of Police for the City of Middletown be approved and adopted.

To refresh your memories please let me share the following; I have been married for over twenty years to my wife Laura; I have four children and four grandchildren. I am a peace- time veteran of the United States Marine Corps and am in my twenty-eighth year of law enforcement.

I have held the rank of Deputy Chief of Police or higher for over eight years. I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science and a Masters Degree in Public Administration, and I am a recent graduate of the 245th session of the FBI National Academy. I am committed to this community and have been since my arrival over four years ago. I remained committed during my wife’s recent battle with breast cancer, and I continue my commitment to this community to this day.

I am a mentor in the public school system, I am a volunteer reader at the YMCA pre-K program, I am a member of NEAT’s Board of Directors, I am a charter member of Middletown’s TRIAD program, and I am currently a member of Wesleyan’s Center for Community Partnerships advisory council. I also represent the Capitol Region Chiefs of Police on the State’s DOT Traffic Safety committee.

During my twenty-seven month tenure as Middletown’s Acting Chief of Police, the following facts are indisputable;

•Under my leadership, the police department fiscal 2010/11 budget came in under budget and over revenue.
•Under my leadership, and due to the hard work of the men and women of the Middletown Police Department, sworn and civilian alike, Middletown saw a 23% reduction in major crime during the first quarter of this year compared to the same time period last year.
•I, along with a member of the Middletown Board of Education, was able to negotiate the return of School Resource Officers to the high school without the need for protracted litigation and legal expenses.
•I created a citizen advisory council inviting six established community leaders to meet with me on a regular basis to ensure decisions that I made which effect the community were not made in a vacuum.
•I proved my leadership during the Kleen Energy Plant explosion, the Main Street building collapse, and Tropical Storm Irene.
•I have enjoyed 100% support from the current mayor on all hiring and promotional recommendations.

Finally, let me say a few things regarding recent events. At all times, I have been honest and candid with the mayor regarding my involvement of recent events in question. None of the alleged incidents occurred while I was on duty. I have not lied and I have not been deceptive.

In closing, I believe the issue in this matter is a simple, clear business decision: If you want the office of Middletown’s Chief of Police in the hands of a professional, competent, proven, tested leader and beholden to no one but the community then vote YES for ballot question #1 on November 8th.

Patrick T. McMahon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why we don't elect law enforcement officials in CT. This shameless campaigning puts personal popularity above the law and doing what is right. It leaves you wondering if decisions are carried out on a political basis in order to keep a job.

Anonymous said...

Wondering if ???? You've got to be kidding, or sarcastic.

Anonymous said...

He was forced to do this because our government doesn't function properly. If the dems on the council were adults, we would't be in this position.

Anonymous said...

He doesn't mention the support of the men and women he "leads". They know him best. That's how I'm voting.

Anonymous said...

About 70% of Middletown's men in blue live outside of the city. Just saying.