Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Frosty does Halloween

I've tried for the last few years to get my kids interested in the fine art of snowman building. Someone gave us a snowman kit complete with hat, scarf, and wooden buttons, eyes, nose and pipe that just push into the snow, and it couldn't be easier to make.

Nothing.

Actually, that's not quite true. Last winter I posted a picture of my daughter's attempt: she picked a lump of snow near the road and arranged a face that looked like the whole thing had been run over by a snow plow.

I also happen to love carving pumpkins, and, in a moment of brilliant inspiration, I put my two favorite holiday traditions together to create...the Jack'O'Man!



I have to give credit for the face design to the pattern I bought at Target. You can get a book of patterns to trace, and the carving tools are included. Some are easy and most are rather difficult. It's not your "Charlie Brown" pumpkin design, but I do enjoy the challenge.



Unfortunately, the warming temperatures didn't work out so well for the Jack'O'Man, and his head eventually fell off. It was certainly fun while it lasted!