Thursday, November 3, 2011

Citizen Endorses GOP Candidates

With Election Day rapidly approaching, I've been meaning to write about some of theGOP candidates that I have come to know best for some time now. I just never thought I'd be doing so with my thumbs on my cell sitting in my car in the Metro Square parking lot (the only place I can get somewhat reliable cell service.) Funny as it sounds, I've had a country song rattling around in my head for a solid month now. Its refrain goes something like, "Who are you when no one's looking?" It's really a lovely song by Blake Shelton and, believe it or not, while listening to it I had an epiphany - I am uniquely poised through my volunteering with the Middletown GOP to tell all and sundry about the following candidates' characters, something that always matters to me when I am casting a vote.

Let me start at the top. Mayor Sebastian Giuliano - he is what I call a "Mr. Middletown." What I mean by that is someone who knows everything there is to know about the city...and then some. And besides that, he loves this city. I don't think we could have another Mayor who cares for this city so viscerally as does Mayor Giuliano. I really don't. I have knocked on doors in various neighborhoods with Mayor Giuliano and have seen firsthand how much its citizens mean to him and how connected he is to his constituents. Their problems are his problems. He strives to do the right thing, even when it isn't the popular or easy thing to do. That tells me all I need to know about his character.
A footnote on the Mayor - he was at the city's emergency shelter for days. Doing the right thing (yet again) without any self-aggrandizement whatsoever.



Jonathan Pulino - I can vouch for the fact that if you call or email Jon, you will always get a prompt reply. Always. Another Mr. Middletown as well. Not much he does not know. But more than that, I find Jon to be a very caring person underneath the humor. He wants to do right by the people of Middletown and I have no doubt he will make every attempt to do so.

David Bauer - yet another Mr. Middletown. Is there anything David doesn't know? Ever? The last time I saw David he was assembling cots at the emergency shelter. No "Look at me" grandstanding. Just quietly helping out because it was the right thing to do. And David can always be counted on to go his own way and vote his conscience.

Earle Roberts - I was asked recently by someone if I was "assigned" to Earle. That made me laugh. No, I haven't been "assigned" to Earle. I just like Earle. Earle is funny and we are friends. Earle is also a Mr. Middletown. There isn't much he doesn't know. The only thing I like better than Earle is his wife, Liz. Earle is a knit-picker and thank God for that. He is a watch-dog and I have no doubt will be in all of our corners if elected.

Deborah Kleckowski. Deb manages to be a councilwoman while raising a young family. She is always the first to reach out to whomever needs her help. I admire that in her greatly.

Tami Kapacziewski. A single mother of twin boys, Tami is an extemely hard worker. If you need anything done, call Tami and she will do it, no questions asked.

Kevin Kelly. New to politics. Not new to Middletown. Another one who can always be counted on to help out in any way he can. Kevin has helped me out on numerous occasions, driving my Mother to events when I couldn't do so. I am sure he will bring that same helpful attitude to the Board of Ed if he is elected.

William Wilson. Will always take your call, listen to you out and do his best to help. I know. I have called him ranting and raving on numerous occasions. Bill is a saint in his own way. And always tries his best to be fair. I can attest to this.

These are but a few of my thoughts/musings on the candidates I have come to know best. I hope you, the reader, find this helpful and can identify with what I have written here about the people that I am privileged to not only know as GOP candidates, but, moreover, as friends.

All the best,
Lea Tomaszewski
Middletown Republican Town Committee volunteer - nothing more, nothing less.

No comments: