Saturday, July 2, 2011

Identify This Frog

One of the nice things about commuting by bicycle, is that it makes it easier to be aware of my surroundings, as I travel the well-worn path between home and work. I am more likely to see and acknowledge the people who are outside for a walk or other activities, the trees, lawns, and houses I pass, and the astonishing array of little treasures which seem to accumulate by the side of the road. It is much easier to investigate these while commuting on bicycle than it is in a car, or even while bicycling for sport; I have a great collection of Happy Meal toys, coffee cups, make-up, work gloves, random bits of broken electronics, small hand tools, and even some jewelry and coins.

One of the sad aspects of bicycling is seeing the animals killed by other vehicles I share the road with. Most of these are gruesome squirrels and wood chucks, but there are also on occasion tragically beautiful song birds, snakes, and turtles. One time I came across a mysterious pair of fresh mink pelts (perhaps they fell out of a trapper's truck?).

Last week I saw a species of frog I do not recall seeing before, and I wonder if any of our readers can identify it. It was two to three inches long, with a very pale green back, and arrestingly beautiful, neon gold hind legs.

If you know what it is, let us know in the comments. Bonus points for elucidating the purpose of flashy gold thighs!

6 comments:

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

My guess is the eastern gray tree frog hyla versicolor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_tree_frog

shane grant said...

It is an eastern grey tree frog.
Hyla versicolor

random esker said...

Well, I know it's not my frog.

Anonymous said...

Saw your story and wandered around the web and found this: http://ctamp.homestead.com/pickleop.html. We currently have a toad and a salamander living in my basement. The toad's been there awhile - years, but the salamander's new this year. EEEEKK! We have a small drain pipe that "Toady" comes back and forth through. Hope that link helps

joseph getter said...

Like the mountain lions spotted in Connecticut recently, perhaps this frog is an exotic pet that escaped.

Anonymous said...

About the brilliant yellow/orange flashing in the groin area of the gray treefrog:There have been studies that indicate that they "possess noxious skin secretions...this noxiousness is perhaps advertised by the yellow or orange patches..." Although I have never licked a gray treefrog, this sounds like a plausible "reason".