Friday, January 14, 2011

Doyle Returns Unused Public Campaign Funds

From the office of State Senator Paul Doyle


State Senator Paul Doyle (D-9th District), recently elected to his 3rd term in the Connecticut State Senate, is doing something that very few politicians in competitive election races have done – after running a lean election campaign, Sen. Doyle is returning more than 50% of  his  taxpayer grant money back to the taxpayers of the State of Connecticut.

“In these very difficult economic times when Connecticut’s families are reducing their spending and watching every dollar, the least I can do is be prudent with their money and return much of it back to them,” explained Doyle.

Earlier this week, Doyle dropped off a check for $45,488.92 at the office of the State Elections Enforcement Commission in Hartford.  That amount represents over 50% of the taxpayer's money that Doyle's campaign committee received from the state public financing system.

While grateful for the many contributions he received in qualifying for the Connecticut Citizens Elections Program, Doyle made it a priority to run an efficient campaign that limited his use of the taxpayer’s money.  

“My opponent last fall was very experienced, in fact, I served with him in the State House of Representatives for several terms.  We had a tough, fair, and competitive race,” said Doyle.  “He and I ran an issues-based race both focused on talking directly to the voters.”

“Ultimately, the Citizens Elections Program is funded by the hard-working taxpaying citizens of the State and we are all wise to remember this as we run our campaigns,” he pointed out. "I made a commitment when I ran to run a lean and efficient campaign operation and that’s what we did.   I’ve always run my campaigns this way, but given the fiscal crisis that the state is currently in, it became even more important to ensure that State taxpayer money was being used efficiently.”

“I’m proud to be able to return this money to the state coffers, on behalf of the citizens of my district,” Doyle stated.  “I serve in public office to focus on issues that are important to my constituents and represent them at the Capitol, and I know they are very concerned about the budget crisis we currently face.”

8 comments:

Ed Dypa said...

Hurray!! for Paul Doyle.

Catherine said...

I thought the money came from unclaimed bank accounts, not taxpayers.

David Bauer said...

This is what is required by law. I guess I should say thanks for obeying the law.

Paul Doyle said...

Prior to the passage of the campaign finance law, the unclaimed funds monies were deposited into the General Fund. Thus, it is a loss to the General Fund and, as you know, the unclaimed funds originate from taxpayers.
For the record, "OBEYING THE LAW" permitted me to spend the FULL amount of the public money on my campaign. Thus, my reduction of my campaign expenditures and subsequent returning of the money to the CEF Account is not "REQUIRED BY LAW."

Anonymous said...

"thanks for underspending" and not spending our money just because you have it. I applaud him for running a lean campaign.

Anonymous said...

Nice press release but Paul Doyle's opponent didn't take a single dime of taxpayers money and Paul wants a pat on the back for spending 35K of state money? We should be thanking Doyle's opponent Don Mazzocoli for his thrift.

Christine O'Grady said...

Paul, thank you for running an honorable and frugal campaign. Congrats on all your new comiittee assignments.

To anonymous number 2, you make it sound like taking public campaign money is a bad thing. Public campaign financing assures an equal playing field and keeps individuals from BUYING offices. Maybe you should sign your name to the post.

Anonymous said...

@Christine O- Who am I is inconsequential. What is important is Senator Doyle elected to spend $35,000 of taxpayer dollars while his opponent didn't take a dime.If you want to applaud Doyle for returning a portion of our tax dollars while spending 35K...go right ahead. I do question how many poor and homeless people could have benefited from the $35,000 Mr. Doyle chose to spend on his signs, bumper stickers and political mailers. Again, all while his opponent didn't accept a dime.