Sunday, January 2, 2011

Calypso No More


It looks like Calypso Creamery has closed its doors for good. I don't know the details, but a few weeks ago, the Main Street ice cream shop closed for business, took down the sign and began to move equipment out. Last week, a little birdie told me it's official - they won't be re-opening.

This corner shop in Metro Square has been an ice cream shop since at least the 1980's, when the Baskin Robbins was a regular stop for sweet-seeking Wesleyan students (I speak from personal experience...) In the 1990's, the Connecticut-based chain of Praeline's took over the location. A year or so ago, the owner of the Praeline's franchise went independent, opening his own island-themed Calypso Creamery, but they seemed to have trouble drawing enough customers from the dinner-and-a-movie crowds that frequent that end of downtown.

Last year, they closed for the cold-weather season. When they opened in the Spring, they never really seemed to regain the crowds that used to gather there.

For now, the Cold Stone Creamery in Riverview Center is the only fresh-made scoop downtown - at least, until Vecchitto's opens up next summer.

2 comments:

Karen Swartz said...

For a few years it was "Everything Ice Cream" and you could watch the owner manually making the ice cream anytime you went in. He would sit on a stool in the back doing what looked like churning. That was the best and creamiest ice cream I've ever had. I think that they still have one store in Cromwell. I was sorry to see them leave Middletown.

Jen Alexander said...

I can't believe I forgot Keith Johnson and Everything Ice Cream! I haven't seen Smurf ice cream since...yes, it was bright blue with white marshmallows.