Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation - Beer Camp, the 9.7% Proof, November 16 At Eli's

Many of you will remember my journey to Sierra Nevada's first consumer Beer Camp this past September, after winning a contest.

While there, I worked with a team of ten fellow campers, most much more knowledgeable about brewing than I, and we created a double IPA with strong hoppy flavor.  After much negotiating (I was against puns, and lost), we named it Hopsichord, because several of the entries for the contest featured songs, most notably Dave Mulligans' homage to Sierra Nevada, which we sang together several times during out two-day camp.

The beer is born.  It shipped Tuesday, and will arrive at Eli Cannon's on Tuesday November 16.  The beer will be available for as long as the one keg has a drop left in it.  The beer distributor has donated the keg and proceeds from each glass will go to benefit Gilead Community Services, a mental health agency in town (full disclosure, my wife Lucy is the development director).

So come down Eli's, taste some Hopsichord, enjoy yourself and do something good for someone else while you're at it.

In addition, Eli's will be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Sierra Nevada Brewery with a selection of the amazing 30th Anniversary Ales which are one-time brews.

Now if I can just convince the mayor to make it Sierra Nevada Day in Middletown November 16.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a beer drinker but it would be an "eye opener" to have a home brew contest in Middletown next October.

gramps

Anonymous said...

what day does the beer arrive? next Tuesday or Nov.11? I want to be there to greet it.

Middletown Eye (Ed McKeon) said...

Beer arrives Tuesday November 16 at Eli Cannon's. There was a typo in the original post.

Anonymous said...

You mean 9.7% alcohol by volume (ABV). Because 9.7% proof is 4.85% ABV. For comparison, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is about 9.9% ABV whhile Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is around 5.6%.Your stature enables you to enjoy a quick bottle of Bigfoot and stay upright while those of us who are less gifted with size should probably imbibed at a slower rate. This is just to warn the Harpsichord party-goers...

Guy Russo said...

Ed, I'll be by for a pint with ya'. The ABV, your experience, the cause, all struck a chord with me!

Oh it's no nay never, no nay never no more..........