Thursday, November 4, 2010

Police Chief Position Posted Internally

The open position for Chief of Police has been posted internally by the city of Middletown.  It's already been established that there are just two officers working in the department who are qualified to fill the position, Acting Chief Patrick McMahon who has been rejected by the Common Council, and Acting Deputy Chief Gregory Sneed.  The posting closes tomorrow.

"From what I understand, the last appointment was rejected because they (the Common Council), did not like the process," Mayor Sebastian Giuliano said Thursday afternoon.  "So here's the process.  I appoint, and they (the Common Council) confirm.  I'm not doing any outside searches.  I'm not doing any community panels.  I'm not doing any police chief panels.  I'll appoint.  Let them confirm."

Asked if anyone had posted for the position yet, the Mayor said that he had not been informed that anyone had posted.  Asked if he would consider McMahon again for the position of chief,  the mayor said that he would.

"Absolutely, I would consider him," Giuliano said.  "Absolutely.  He's qualified, and I would consider appointing him."

Giuliano said he would expect to make a decision rapidly if he receives postings for the position.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Mayor: Common Council voted No on MacMahon-Sgt Sneed is available and well qualified--From my point of view the problem at best is one of politics and at worst one of racism--

Anonymous said...

I truly hope that the common council will consider MacMahon this time. I hope that the council will use this as an opportunity to work together. It is time that we show a spirit of working together in this city. I think that MacMahon has shown a commitment to this city and a willingness to work within the community. He is a Middletown home owner. It is time that we put the issue of residence to bed. I really hope that the council will be fair and give acting chief a chance.

Gramma said...

Put the politics and emotions aside for the sake of Middletown.
If there is no legal reason NOT to confirm MacMahon, then the BOE has an obligation to help secure the MPD's Chain of Command.

I have met with MacMahon. He was one of only a handful of professionals who listened to us and gave us guidance regarding the bullying of my Granddaughter.

Yes, I am Alexa McClain, the "Gramma" who spoke before the BOE on October 12th. If it hadn't been for the Mayor and MacMahon, we would not have even known about the BOE being open to the public that night.

My advise to the BOE:
Confirm the man now and use your energies to make sure your school Administrators COMPLY with the "No Tolerance" policies already in effect!

By the way .... the bullying has NOT stopped and it's now November.

Anonymous said...

I was considering sending my child to Middletown Regional High, now, forget it. I do not consider Middletown schools to be very safe now that the resource officers are not on site.

Anonymous said...

come on ed i thought my bit about the mayor giving me my high school diploma was a good one. he should after the BOE confirms mcmahon for chief

Anonymous said...

A real polititian would realize McMahon is never going to be appointed and at the same time Custer is never going to be put up for appointment by this Mayor.

So what should the Mayor do, compromise and appoint Snead, the Mayor gets his appointment and the Council really has no choice but to confirm. Then move on. Then the Council doesnt control the Police Department and the Mayor doesnt control the Police Department--Exactly the way it should be.