Friday, November 5, 2010

Acting Chief McMahon Has Re-Applied for Position of Chief

"Though I'm away on leave of absence, I did know about the posting for Police Chief, and I have applied, and I am interested." Acting Chief Patrick McMahon said in a phone interview Friday morning.

McMahon acknowledged that there are only two people internally who have the qualifications for the job, himself and Acting Deputy Chief Gregory Sneed.

"I assume that if both of us apply, the mayor will meet with us next week and make a decision," McMahon said.

Asked if he was willing to sit through the grueling challenge of yet another Common Council hearing, McMahon was philosophical.

"I have to put my faith in them," McMahon said.  "I understand that the last time they were upset with the mayor's process of selecting a candidate, but most, if not all of them said that I was qualified and competent.  The mayor is reverting to the process by which the last chief was appointed.  The job was posted.  The candidate applied.  The mayor appointed her and the Council confirmed her.  He's (the mayor) is simply replicating that process.

"I can only assume, if the process was accepted then, it will be okay now," McMahon said.  "And I would expect the Council would consider me on my qualifications and not the process."

McMahon is on leave of absence as his wife recovers from surgery and treatment for a serious ailment.

3 comments:

Alexa McClain said...

Good Luck to you Sir.

You were one of the few who showed concern and offered guidance to our family regarding an escalating bullying situation at WWMS with our 7th Grader. We truly appreciate the time you gave us.

"Gramma"

Anonymous said...

Who wants to bet the Mayor will choose McMahon again?

Anonymous said...

and again, and again, and again, and again.....