Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In Defense of A Decision

Submitted by Councilman James Streeto

"chickens---t (v) the act of walking into a meeting to vote on an appointment, and being confronted by several dozen people, a number of
whom are carrying loaded firearms, including the prospective employee, who all argue passionately in favor of the appointment, and voting against it....."

hmm.... not sure I get it.  But thanks for the apology, although I'm not sure its necessary to apologize after such an acrimonious meeting.  Can we just agree that everyone was upset?

Thanks also, Chief McMahon, for being a gentleman throughout the process.

Ok, I'm not here to present anyone's position but my own.  It differs from some of my caucusmembers in important respects.  If you don't agree with it, and if you're questioning my judgment folks, that's your prerogative (and, indeed, your duty as informed citizens)--its a free country as of 1/20/2009: 

(http://us.peeplo.com/search/?q=obama%20inauguration&type=web&from=adgsp )

And I'm happy to talk about my decision (civilly or otherwise) until the cows come home. (Ed: you're not the first person to yell at me in the council chamber.  You're not even the first one this year.... seems to be a monthly occurrence).

But folks, if you're going to accuse me of "groupthink," "lockstep," or "hypocrisy", I think the conversation can be better continued without my input.  My votes and my reasons are my own; and no one tells me what to think.

As for my reasons--I thought I laid them out last night.  Apparently, not very well.  So I'll try again:

For me, this whole thing really started in August.  And, actually, you sortta started it Ed:

http://middletowneyenews.blogspot.com/2010/08/mayor-blasts-council-members-for.html

Oh, those lovely Middletown rumors!  "the fix is in".  You've heard it, right?  (don't make me come over there.  you live in Middletown, you've heard it.  you live in Middletown, you've SAID it). By the time I heard this, the whole town was buzzing.  And they got more ridiculous and/or disturbing by the day.

After discussing some of these allegations and hearing other rumors, I felt it was incumbent to obtain some information about the process used for selection, in order to figure out whether any of the rumors were true, and, if so, whether they might impact on the vote, or create potential liability for the city.

Part of the reason, as detailed below, was the possibility of a candidate having been eliminated from consideration altogether by the mayor (I didn't know then and don't know now if that is true or not). Part of it was that I'm really tired of "the behind the scenes" and whispering campaign crap accompanying every major endeavor in this community. I was hoping for a more open procedure and determination on the strengths and weaknesses of the particular candidate.

And part of it, honestly, was a function of occupation and personality. Lawyers worry about process.  Criminal lawyers worry about process A LOT.  Appellate lawyers do nothing BUT worry about process. If you're unhappy about that, please don't vote me into office again.

Here's the email I sent:

Dear Mayor Giuliano:

As you are probably aware, our community is currently awash in rumors and debate concerning the police chief appointment.  There is a great deal of information I will require concerning the PROCESS of selection, which is where most of the rumors and debate seem to be centering.

The personnel review commission meets on September 21; I would propose they act as a sort of a fact finding committee for the council, and provide us with the following data, together with any additional data other members of the body might feel appropriate:

1. As you know, the council passed an advisory resolution in January concerning the process.  At the time, you noted you need not follow the procedure laid out, or any other. 

Your references to the trained monkey method tickled my sense of humor, but I presume it is not the method you utilized (if it is, I'll need to know the age, genus, gender, and color of the monkey, the size of the pictures, number of darts thrown, distance from the wall, and whether any other communities have utilized this method).  I would like the details on the method utilized, as follows:

a. We recommended use of a consultant.  Was one hired?  If so, which one, and who is our contact there?

b. Did they provide written protocols for a procedure?  Can we obtain these?

c. Who actually conducted the testing? Is it possible to obtain detailed information concerning any and all tests: I would like to see both detailed test ANSWERS, and, almost as importantly, I would like to see the actual tests administered. 

I would like to know how the specific tests utilized were chosen.  Were they recommended?  If so, by whom?  Are there any other tests? 

If any written materials were provided in the course of the testing, either to the candidates from the City or testers, or to the city or the testers by the candidates, I would like to see those as well. 

c. Was the consultant's advice and recommendations advice strictly followed?  If not, what deviations from it occurred?

d. Civilian panels were called in this case, according to the press. I presume this to be true.  Can you please provide their membership, and any records/reports they generated?  Presuming the Middletown Eye is accurate in indicating they gave each candidate a numerical grade, what criteria did they use to do so (I presume it wasn't the monkey method).  Did they generate any additional written material?

e. The Eye indicates you eliminated one candidate from consideration based upon alleged meetings between said candidate and members of the common council.  Is this true?  If so, were the candidates warned of this in advance?  Is this standard for Middletown? 

Are there standard confidentiality/disclosure agreements for directoral appointments and the interview process?  Do we have copies of whatever parameters were given to the candidates in advance?  May I see them?

f. Prior to so eliminating said candidate, did you discuss this matter with our consultants or a labor lawyer?  Did they provide any written recommendations? Can we have copies of this material as well?  If not, what is your basis for concluding that the candidate is disqualified?

g. Have any other candidates had discussions with other councilmembers, including members of the minority caucus?  Have Councilmembers Bibisi, Pessina, Bauer or Kleckowski met with any candidates?

Have you discussed the process ex parte with any of the candidates, specifically those in the acting chief and acting deputy chief positions?  Are there any records of said discussions? 

I note the Eye reports your statement that Acting Chief McMahon is "free to lobby [the majority caucus members]."  Can you please reconcile for me why the Acting Chief is free to discuss the appointment ex parte, while another candidate was disqualified for allegedly doing the same thing?  Is it because he has now been formally appointed?  Why does this make a difference?

I recognize that this is a burdensome body of material to assemble, which is why I am requesting it now, in late August, a month before the PRC meets, rather than immediately before the Council meeting. This will also give all of us time for follow up requests, should the material provided generate additional questions. I will defer to PRC as to whether there is additional material it might require, but reserve the right to make further inquiry at a later time. 

I appreciate your attention to this request. 

Jim Streeto 

I sent this in late August, providing ample time to assemble the material requested. I honestly had no agenda: I wanted to find out, first, what happened, and then figure out what if anything it meant.

What I figured would happen is that I'd be ushered into room 208, handed 3 bankers' boxes of material, and told "Jimmy, go wild." This is what NORMALLY happens when I ask for documentation--honestly, I can't remember ever being denied an informational request before and this is my 6th term.

Instead, I received a very prompt and courteous response, advising me that it was covered by FOIA.

Horsefeathers!  The FOIA rules cited address requests by members of the public, NOT members of the decision making body (in this case, the council).  As I mentioned at the meeting, the same section covers litigation documents--would you expect me to vote on a 2 million dollar lawsuit settlement without documents?   We're given confidential material on a very, very frequent basis--are these FOIA violations?  This is equivalent to your doctor's nurse making your doctor get a HIPAA release from you before she lets him have your chart. 

I then asked if I could see the material, nevertheless, and was told I could not.  As mentioned at the meeting--kudos to Deb Milardo, who was very prompt and courteous and gave me everything the mayor allowed her to release.  But that still left me with "most of the information" I'd requested (quote from the answer) still out of my hands.  

This was my principle reason for voting against the Chief's appointment.  I've been told by a good many people now that I have no right to judge the process--but I'm neither a potted plant nor a parade float.  If you put a lawyer in office, he'll ask questions about the process if questions about the process are raised. They were raised by both sides in this case--so I asked questions. I received no answers.  To this day, I do not have answers, and do not know if the process was appropriate or not.

Just so I get it: anyone wanna take a stab at how many times I've been told "you guys [ie the common council] have no idea what's going on?"  Can someone tell me why I catch so much wreck the minute I ask questions designed to inform me what's going on?

Ed--as for the positives and negatives of the candidate--my principle reservation (which I referenced to you without disclosure after the meeting) was the one I was told by the mayor and the city attorney NOT to publicly discuss.  You were sitting there when I was told this--but I've been told you have been told you have one of the letters referenced at the meeting.  Whether this would have swayed me if I'd been given the material requested I honestly don't know-right now its really hard to walk things back that far. It is a significant concern.  Counterbalancing it are the many community voices I heard Monday (which did influence my thinking on the candidate) and the several other directors who spoke in his favor (who swayed me more, as I am a strong proponent of better inter-departmental relations).

Finally, as for residency, I was not on the council when Patrick McMahon first came to the city, and have NEVER been presented with a residency waiver request for him.  And if you present me one, I'll vote for it.

How many of my colleagues decided the question on the same reasoning I don't know.  They're grown ups, and can post for themselves.

As for the question about republicans voting as a block--respectfully, Ed, that isn't true, and it isn't an answer. Does being in the minority excuse a legislator from responsible behavior?  If so, heaven help us if the republicans really do gain control of the Congress in November.

So now you all know why I voted as I did.  I voted as I did because I was NOT given material I said I'd NEED to vote to confirm the Chief SIX WEEKS before the meeting.  If you don't think I needed it--fine.  Don't vote for me next year--this is an important issue.  You don't have to get defensive or angry about it--I accept that its a major judgment call on which we disagree.

But please stop accusing me of marching in step.  I got a lotta witnesses from my high school band days who will swear up down and sideways I've never been guilty of THAT.

18 comments:

Vinnie said...

Don't worry, Jim, you and your buds will be gone!

Pantara said...

One thing you fail to understand Councilman, is that you all ask for "a process" of which none is required. The Mayor can choose as he or she sees fit.

The Mayor was just foolish for trying to accommodate the council in this regard.

Anonymous said...

The mayor is responsible for the selection process. What should every person whop applies be individually interviewed and vetted by each council member? Should people in the mayor's office stop what they are doing and make copies of the materials for all council members when they are not required to have them? What it comes down to is McMahon a good choice. Yes. I am a democrat but I say support the mayor, the police and the chief. I will not vote for a democrat council member this year. We need a permanent chief and we have a great one under our noses and in the role. Given crime in the city this is just to important of an issue to let slide!

Anonymous said...

Councilman Streeto, You see that flash of light in the corner of your eye? That's your career dissipation light. It just went into high gear. Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

You were charged with voting for the candidate, not voting for the process. You didn't do what you were charged with doing. You mixed up your vote.

You may be right about not getting documents, but that's not the point here. This vote was for a specific candidate.

If your problem truly was with process, you should have recused yourself or made a motion to table the vote until the process was cleared up.

Instead, you voted against the candidate. That is disingenuous and proves your alterior motives.

You selfishly left our city without a permanent chief, with a department and a city in a state of confusion because you (and your colleagues) were too cowardly to say what you meant. All of your complaints about process...

You should have tabled it instead of voting at all.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Thank you for explaining the reasons for your vote. I am an independent voter and like to be informed about how our elected officials come to their decisions.

The process and reasons why the mayor nominated one candidate over the others is very important to the confirmation process. This check and balance is an important part of our local government, so thank you for doing, or at least trying to do your due dilligence.

I invite each counsel member to list their reasons for their votes, along with the Mayor to list why he chose Mr. McMahon over the other candidates.

Joe said...

Hey Streeto!, you are a pompous ass. To insinuate "it's a free country as of 1/20/09" exemplifies your character, equally, to what you displayed Monday night. Questioning "the Process" is just your talking point, as all liberal appellate lawyers have, and where you stood out, way way out. Sir, you did march in line and from where I stood you were right up front.

Bill Wilson said...

I have one question for you Councilman Streeto. Is Acting Police Chief McMahon qualified for the position? I know you stated that he was. So what I don't understand is how you can deny someone who is qualified. Unless it is all about politics.

Spare me the process comment you make. The mayor doesn't have to have a process, but the democrat majority leader asked for one. Which the mayor did.

Yet in the end you and the other democrats on the council rejected his nomination. Not on qualifications, but because of politics.

James Streeto said...

Pantara--see my other posts. I believe the process has to be fair, just and reasonable. I wouldn't vote for a candidate chosen by the trained monkey method, even if he seemed to be descended from the gods.....

Anonymous 9:34: no, I don't think every person who applies should be individually interviewed (although I did speak to the Chief at length). But it is my duty to evaluate the process as part of the appointment, and I and my colleagues advised the mayor it was a concern. And yes, frankly, I think people in the offices should make materials available to the council if they feel they need them to make a decision. Wanna guess how many times I've been told "you guys [the common council] need to do your homework and not let the directors pull the wool over your eyes!"? So I try to do my homework, and they take my school books away?

Anonymous 12:15: I was in charge of analyzing the process, and, per other posts, this was a publicly expressed concern from the get-go. Tabling it would have been fine if I'd been told it would take time to get the material together. That's why I asked for it in August and not October. But why table? It wouldn't have changed the situation.

Recusal: I wasn't conflicted. By the end of Monday's meeting, I really wish I had been. I have a duty to vote on an issue if I'm not.

Bill: Hi! And thanks btw for using your name.
Regards process: we noted it'd be a concern prior to the mayor initiating one (see other posts). Look, ANYTHING he does to pick a director, including the trained monkey method or picking names from a hat is a process. What you're arguing is we don't get to evaluate that process. There we disagree. I read the charter (Chapter V) to include evaluation of the process used in the confirmation process.
As referenced elsewhere, we asked for it up front, and there were a lot of issues raised with the process as it developed. I just wanted to find out what precisely occurred concerning an element of the application I said in advance would be significant.

Folks: Why is it "political" for me to vote AGAINST the chief and piss off several dozen people? Wouldn't it have been a heck of a lot more "political" to vote FOR him and make them happy? Especially since it would not have changed the outcome?

(and don't tell me I didn't wanna piss off Tom. I get yelled at by Tom all the time. The last time was the September meeting.)

Vinnie: I'm not worried, I'm discouraged. I publicly advise the mayor I'm going to want to analyze the process before it happens, in great detail in an acrimonious debate. I ask to review the process well in advance of the meeting in order to analyze it. I am refused the means to do so.

I am now being attacked for being groupthink, political hackery, and possession of alterior motives for raising concerns and unanswered questions I mentioned would need answering in order to secure my support in January. Almost no one seems concerned with either my explanations or the actual history here (thank you Anonymous 1:13; and thanks also to Jen Alexander).

I'm also being congratulated by some of the McMahon detractors, who don't appear at all concerned with why I voted as I did either.

Every single post, pro and con, specifies how much the poster wants his or her councilman to be an independent representative. More and more it seems that "independent representative" equates to "votes the way I want him to vote no matter what the reasons are" in the minds of many voters.

Is that really what you guys want?

Call me crazy. I think "why" is as important as "what." And if you agree with that--then you understand why I wanted to consider the process in this case.

Anonymous said...

Yes you should vote the way you feel is for the best interest of the City, not that a process was not understood or explained.

There are two solid candiates for Chief and Asst Chief that have worked well as a team and make themselves available to the public that they sevre, and it appears that the Dem council serves the need of their policy whims despite what is in the best interest of the city that is the public perception and reaction.

For your fellow Dems to bring up mileage on a city car is quiet amusing, for a decade anytime Earle Roberts brought up the subject of the whole city fleets usage the Dem army snickered and moved on, now it is a n issue with one car out of how many?

The SRO issue which clearly is the BOE getting what they preceives as pay back for the June incident, and we are to beleive the DEM Town Committee Caucas did not set that agenda either as the chiefs appointment was done when you ran out of the room twice to caucus so Tom, Gerry , and Vinnie could make sure the rest of you had your minds right which again is the clear perception of those actions please, you could have objected to the caucas or not participated if you or any other DEM council member are an independent thinker.

Cross the big three and you will not get nominated to run for another term as you stated ocurred with Mayor Thorton, as you said you could have voted for the appointment and demostrated your true independence you claim from the Big Three, but, you chose not to instead followed suit.

It truly is a shame that the DEM Town Committee see fit to paralyze the City so they can win the Mayors seat they have lost for the last two elections. Hopefully nothing happens inour schools without the SRO's in place and the moral of our police does not suffer.

Clearly, Vinnie,and Hope have an issue with are men and women who out their putting their life on the line for us everyday, which this City has exprienced truly another sign of teh DEM arrogance.

So we will stay tuned as you and your collegues play how to ruin the City so we can win the Mayor's seat,

PS Tell Dan he does not look like Mayoral material texting and squirming.

Anonymous said...

Jim don't applogize. I want Ed to do an article on why McMahon got dismissed from his other jobs. Ed your not a reporter your a McMahon supporter. Your supposed to be neutral. Waiting for the article .I think it will open up lots of eyes. So lets go Ed ifyour as netural as you say...

Bill Wilson said...

Jim you avoided the one question I asked you. Is Acting Police Chief qualified to be the permanent Police Chief? You stated he was. It's on record Jim.

One last thing. We heard from many in the community who work along side or saw the work that Acting Police Chief McMahon did. Was that not taken into consideration in your thought process. Just curious since they have seen what he has done in the community.

Det. Nick Puorro, Middletown Police Department said...

You know what Jim....I sat by and listened to you at the meeting give us all your statements, thoughts, and justifications in which you twisted your words and were so all over the map, intentionally I believe, so that most people would lose track of what you were actually saying. You want to do that, you want to vote no, you want to stick with your party or go against them then that is fine. You got elected, you are the councilman, do whatever you want. But how about this....how about you have enough respect for the men and women who protect you every night while you sleep in your bed that you don't insinuate that the Middletown Police are so unprofessional that they may use their guns on you if you don't vote a certain way. Don't respond to this post and tell me that's not what you meant or I took it the wrong way. With your post you implied that the cops in the room were such "cowboys" that you were threatened by them and their guns but still made a decision they did not support. For you to even raise a point like that shows your total disregard for the department, the officers, how professional we are, how well trained we are, and how much integrity we have. That my friend is chickens--t. You didn't walk into a dangerous room that night Mr. Streeto. As a matter of fact you walked into the SAFEST room in the entire city that night. You should follow the lead of Middletown Police Officers and show some class.

Anonymous said...

Would the GOP be as understanding if a democrat mayor just appointed who ever with no process?.....in this city i doubt it.

P. Keating said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Streeto said...

Detective Puorro--

I read your post, and then read it again with considerable chagrin. And you're right--my remark was offensive, and I owe you and your brother officers an apology.

You were charitable enough not to point out that all the police officers present at the meeting were professional and perfect gentlemen throughout, which makes my comment that much more offensive--it was unprovoked.

I'm not going to load this up with political excuses, explanations or justifications. But let me say that in my tenure in public office, I've said quite a few things I wish I hadn't said, and some that in retrospect were stupid, but this is one of very few which I have re-read and felt ashamed to have made. And for that, and any offense I might have caused you or your brother officers, I am sincerely sorry.

James Streeto said...

Billy--

Fair point. And you're correct in saying I'm already on record as saying the Acting Chief is qualified. I will add that his qualifications have been evaluated by people with much more expertise in the area then me.

I'm heading out of state--that most recent post was Councilman Daley tagging in. I'll be back in touch in a few days. Thanks, folks for the dialogue. Thanks Ed for providing a forum for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed by anyone who can open the door and engage in a dialog and still remain civil and even apologize to someone after a long diatribe of hostile comments thrown in his direction.

Jim, I think that you truly want discussion and community consensus most of the time, and that's why you were upset by the lack of information provided to you and the Council during the selection process.

It would be nice if all the top elected officials of a community could come together and collectively and cooperatively share the same information and together decide on something as important as selecting our next police chief. But there is so little trust between this Democratic Council and the Mayor that the Mayor won't bother to try anymore; you guys have cut him off at the knees so many times he has given up. So which one of you created this set of conditions? I don't know but I don't like it. And I'm ready to get rid of every one of you because of it.

Jim let me encourage you to keep your independent thoughts and challenge your party to live what they preach--Councilman Daley cites a lack of a fair and open process? Then challenge him and Serra to put their money where his mouth is every time. Because you and I know that they don't.

Jim, you're ok in my book. You're redeemable.