Monday, October 4, 2010

Appoint a New Chief Tonight

COMMENTARY

This is solely the opinion of the author of this article and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other Middletown Eye authors.


It’s time for the city to appoint a Chief of Police and move onto other important city issues.

Pat McMahon may not the perfect choice for Middletown’s Chief of Police. But the perfect choice probably doesn’t exist on the list of candidates. In addition, I think McMahon would be the first to admit that as much experience as he has, there’s always room to learn and grow.

He passes the appropriateness test on several levels – he’s an internal candidate, he’s handled crisis well and he meets all the requirements of the job.

The Common Council needs to endorse Mayor Sebastian Giuliano’s choice of Patrick McMahon for Chief of Police.

Here’s what I know about the chief.

First, he’s responsive.

As a downtown resident my wife and I have come to know that if we experience a problem in our neighborhood, McMahon will respond, nearly immediately, with advice or a referral to the appropriate officer in his department. Then he will follow-up to be sure some action has been taken.

As a journalist, he returns my calls, every time, even when he knows I have a difficult question.

We all know that some of you call him “McMouth,” but that’s okay with me. I like someone who speaks his mind, even if I don’t always agree (and I don't). With McMahon, what you see is what you get.

Second, he’s involved with the community.

I understand there’s been dispute about the city’s residency requirement, but this is a red herring that some Council members have latched onto. This residency requirement has been deferred when a Council candidate has been preferred in the past. I think, under the circumstances, that the residency argument is rendered impotent.

I also know that he owns property in the North End, pays taxes and votes in town.

But beyond that McMahon is involved. He mentors in the school system. He makes time to appear, in an active role, in neighborhood events.  He is more involved in community organizations and events than some members of the Common Council

Third, he’s not afraid to stand his ground.

I’ve seen him stand up to the Common Council. I’ve seen him stand up to the Board of Education. I’ve yet to see him stand up to the mayor, but in the matter of law, my guess is that he would. He doesn’t take a lot of shit, but appears to pursue what’s best for his department and safety and security in the city.

I understand that he’s not loved by everyone in the rank and file. And while it’s important for a chief to build a cohesive team, it’s not his job to be everybody’s friend. So if some officers don’t like his decisions or assignments, I think he’s probably doing his job.

Fourth, he’s performed well under difficult circumstances.

When our state and city government failed to protect us, through oversight, as a major power plant was built, and using questionable construction practices, McMahon and his department handled the emergency and preserved evidence as part of a crime scene.

When major murders have shown the lurid light of the national spotlight on the city, McMahon and his department have performed well and appropriately.

Fifth, he’s not connected.

McMahon is still a relative newcomer to this town. He’s nobody’s cousin. He doesn’t come in owing anybody, anything. In a town where patronage has been a problem, I think this is a very good thing.

All of these things convince me that McMahon is the appropriate choice.

Are there things I’d like to see him do better? Of course. I think McMahon needs to reserve judgment about his officers’ behavior in controversial settings until all the facts are in, and, has to admit that sometimes his officers might make the wrong decisions. I think he’s got to increase downtown foot patrols. I think he needs to institute strict training and standards for the use of Tasers. I think he must support and promote the best officers and weed from the ranks, officers who are not performing as required and expected. I’d like him to see him take a less contentious stance with anyone who questions his decision making.

But these are things I’d likely ask from any candidate for the office. I urge the Council to appoint McMahon because he is the right candidate, and not to resort to a decision based solely on politics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. He has been responsive and diligent. He deserved to be chief, especially after the long process he went through...it's been two years. How can we as a city put candidates through this? It's really unfair.