Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Great Idea Alert: Wethersfield Shops Local Campaign

I happened to be shopping in Wethersfield today and the store owner handed me a business card. He signed it and explained that he was one of 50 stores in town participating in a new campaign started by the Economic Development and Improvement Commission. Once I got 5 participating business signatures on my card, I could drop it off at City Hall to be entered into a monthly drawing for a $100 gift certificate to be used at any of the participating businesses.

Of course, I'm not a Wethersfield resident, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to participate in the program. However, I was so intrigued by the idea that I went to the Town of Wethersfield's web page, looking for more information on the project. Here's what I found:

Thank you for your interest in the Wethersfield Shops Local Program. This campaign was created by the Wethersfield Economic Development and Improvement Commission with input from Wethersfield businesses and merchants. We recognize that our local businesses are essential to a vital local economy and community character. Wethersfield Shops Local is an educational and marketing campaign encouraging Wethersfield area residents and employees to support Wethersfield businesses. We believe that The Wethersfield "Shops Local" program will prove to be a highly successful and affordable way for you to market your business. Shops Local cards will be widely distributed and recognized throughout the Wethersfield community. Designed as a "Rewards" program, the goal is to help draw new customers into your local businesses.

A full description of how the program works is available here. There is no cost to the business owner and the expected business member benefits were listed as follows:
  • Increased business due to public education regarding the importance of supporting local businesses
  • You receive a tasteful, removable Shops Local decal identifying your business as a participating member
  • Become part of a network of businesses that support and patronize each other
    Group advertising
  • A listing on the Shop Local web site linking to your web site
  • A listing in the printed business directory
  • Use of the Wethersfield Shops Local logo for your use on web site or other promotions
  • The opportunity to participate in a new business campaign designed to improve the local business climate
  • Media coverage in local news stories that promote the program
  • Web site listing to promote your in store sales, discounts or specials

I'm in that stage with my kids where "copying" is a cardinal sin, but in this case, what a great idea!!! I would love to see such a program in Middletown, especially as we are thinking about making Middletown more friendly for cyclists and walkers. I especially like the idea of a central web site that advertises store sales and other specials: this would be really great for restaurants to advertise special meal deals for certain days of the week (you know, like $2 margaritas on Tuesdays or something like that...). If nothing else, couldn' t the EYE have such a listing? I particularly like nachos, so what I'm really after is a list of all the places in town that have great nachos (Eli Cannon's is currently at the top of my list, but I'm open to sampling!).

Anyway, I'm saying this is a great idea and somebody who can make this happen should really think about making it happen! I'll be first in line to get my card signed!

2 comments:

LZ Durham said...

This seems like a great idea! I would have five signatures probably within the first three days. I've lived in this area for 30 years and have seen some great changes in this town through time. It just seems like the business enviornment is so much more encouraged than in other cities. We love all the different restaurants on Main Street and have little desire to go anywhere else. Our kids (in their twenties)even like the drinking holes, and anytime you can keep that age group, you're doing something right! Keep it up, Middletown!

Peter Gillespie said...

Jam - In response to your posting please be advised that anyone who submits a Shops Local card with the required signatures does qualify for our monthly drawing. We encourage you to visit and shop Wethersfield.