Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Answer the Question

Here's something I didn't notice: there is a question on today's ballot.

The text reads: 

"Shall Section IX, Section 2 be approved?"  

The full text is:

"Shall Section IX, Section 2:  Debt Authorization as adopted by the COmmon Council as presented by the Charter Revision Commission to raise debt authorization to $750,000 with said authorization to occur only after a public hearingon said matter on a date prior to the Council's consideration of the issue, be approved?"

It is basically raising the city's ability to take on debt without a vote of the public from $500,000 to $750,000.

Thanks to the North End Action Team for sending this information out mid-day!

5 comments:

Barry Burke said...

Thanks!

I've been Googling that question!

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have read this prior to the election. I asked a poll worker and she told me she didn't know what it was about. I was surprised there wasn't more information provided, but after I voted someone pointed to a longer explanation that was posted on the wall.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the outcome of this vote?

Anonymous said...

I was really surprised to see this ballot question because I had not heard about this beforehand. How are voters supposed to make informed decisions when this isn't publicized in advance? None of the candidates mentioned it at the candidate forum/debate I attended, and I found no mention of it in the Middletown Press. Where was the average voter supposed to go to find out information about this stuff?

Middletown Eye (Ed McKeon) said...

If you were relying on the Middletown Press, you might not have even realized there was an election yesterday, so sparse was their coverage of the Middletown campaign.

Now if a candidate was murdered during a drug deal, the Press would have been on it.