Saturday, October 31, 2009

Candidate Profile: Common Council - Vinnie Loffredo

Vinnie Loffredo (D)
Incumbent Candidate for Common Council

Background

Born and raised in Middletown; graduated St. Sebastian’s Elementary School, Middletown High(MHS), and Marquette University; graduate study at Wesleyan University’s master in arts and liberal studies; certified biology and science teacher; taught at Guilford Junior High School and Middletown High School; directed alternative high school program, School-Within-A -School; worked as an advocate for strong and vital public education at the Connecticut Education Association (CEA) for the past 35 years; currently serve as CEA’s chief lobbyist at the state Capitol.

Married to Dora Glinn; two adult children and one grandchild.

Experience and Qualifications

I became interested in politics and public service as a student at MHS through its annual Mayor-For- A-Day program. The call to public service made by a new, young, and dynamic president, John F. Kennedy, made a very strong impression on me. I have always believed that it’s very important to be an active participant in the political process.

Since the late 1970s, I’ve had the honor and privilege to serve as an elected representative in my community. My first city council term began in the 1970s and continued throughout the 1980s. In 1989, I ran for the remaining term of then - State Representative Paul Gionfriddo, who had been elected mayor. I was elected, completed his term, and was re-elected for a full two-year term. Most recently, I’m completing two additional terms on the city council and seeking re-election for another two years.

During these years of service, I’ve served Middletown residents on many different committees, boards and commissions. Currently, chair Personnel Review and Fire Services Cost Committee, serve as a member of the Public Safety Commission, the Retirement Board, MHS VO-AG Building Committee, and the MHS Locker Building Committee.

Reasons for Running

I care very strongly about our community. I believe that I can make a positive contribution toward Middletown’s continued growth and development. I enjoy working with members of the community, my council colleagues, both Democrat and Republican, as we discuss, debate, and resolve the many issues that come before us.

Goals

· Fulfill my fiduciary responsibility and control spending is a priority during these difficult economic times while maintaining essential services.

· Provide taxpayers with a comprehensive review and report of the fire services and the cost- savings recommendations for our three fire districts.

· Complete construction of needed MHS locker rooms for young men and women as well as for competing teams.

· Solve our waste and water treatment issue by having Middletown accepted as a member of the Mattabassett Sewage District.

· Promote responsible economic development while protecting the environment and our natural resources.

· Be responsive to changing community interests/needs.

No comments: