Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A gentleman on 66


On Route 66, across the street from Palmer Field, is one of Middletown's treasures, Larry's service station. Its owner and proprietor Larry Trotta has been helping customers at the same location for 46 years. He is a Middletown native, growing up on Miller Street in the North End.

At one time there were 8 different service stations on Route 66, but they have gradually been replaced by the likes of Jiffy Lube, and drive-through Donut shops and Drug stores. Larry sold gasoline at his station until 1999, when he said the money involved got to be too much. He had his gasoline tanks removed from the ground, but keeps the old pumping aisle in front of the garage for nostalgia, "It just wouldn't be right to have my service station without a gas pump island in front."

My family has had our mechanical automotive work done by Larry for many years, and I have come to appreciate his constant cheer, his good work, reasonable rates, and above all else the honesty that he gives and expects in return. I was not surprised to learn that when he still operated a gasoline pumping station, regular customers would often come in to ring up their own gas on the cash register. Like the Galles at Neon Deli, Larry sees himself and his business as part of the community, a brother and friend to everybody who stops by.

Larry's openness and honesty is such that when I told him I needed tires for our 1985 Ford F100, he suggested I could get them cheaper at one of the big mega-stores in the strip mall (I bought them there, and had Larry install them). Another time he spent half an hour chasing down a funny sound in my wife's car and initially refused to take any money for it (she eventually bought him lunch). On a couple of occasions he has sent us elsewhere for car repairs that he felt somebody else could do a better job on.

The economic downturn is hurting car repair business as much as anything else--Larry said that people were putting off the maintenance, going longer between oil and tire changes. However, he said that he was OK with less. Larry told me that in a recession like this, he felt lucky that he was not a rich man dependent on having lots of money. He said he learned to be very happy without all the extravagances, growing up on Miller Street.

4 comments:

ARTFARM said...

I have been entrusting my vehicles to Larry for the past 25 years. The ultimate honest mechanic and a really good human being. I definitely encourage folks to bring him your business!He will fix what he can, won't do stuff that is unnecessary, and is willing to make a referral if he feels the job is out of his realm.

Anonymous said...

I love this story.thank you

Tree Fanatic said...

Larry Trotta is a jewel. We would switch to bicycles if he ever stopped repairing cars. Some of you may not know that Larry is an avid baker, and travels to Vermont to buy special flour for his bread-baking.

Anonymous said...

Count me in as one of Larry's oldest customers and biggest fans. He started by working on my '65 VW and has worked on every car I have owned since. He has saved me time, money and impending disasters with his honest appraisal and good work. When offered a job out of state in '85 Larry was the first person I thought of irreplaceable in a new community and a big part of my staying here. He's the BEST! See you there today at 2 PM for my spring checkup.