Friday, March 6, 2009

Eye M - Eating


Aldi, the grocery store, has opened at 671 Washington St., behind CVS. Last night I cooked the Cornish Game Hens I purchased there this week for $1.99 each. I used a recipe that I found on the Food TV website and I can report the results were fabulous. Small poultry rubbed down with a mixture of salt, chili powder, cinnamon and a little sugar, placed on a bed of carrots, onion, parsnips, celery and cut up oranges was a delight to the olfactory senses. Cook at 425 for about 40 minutes.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/christmas-cornish-game-hens-recipe/index.html


Aldi is worth a look. Most of the products they carry are not the nationally known brands but have Aldi generic labels. As Aldi owns Trader Joes, you may be able to spot some of the same products with different packaging. They don't carry much, if any, organic and produce is somewhat limited. What they do have is low prices. A little competition can be good and I noticed that our other Middletown grocery stores have gotten the message that Aldi is in town and they have lowered some prices and are offering coupons this week.

It helps to bring your own shopping bags to Aldi. If you don't, large plastic shopping bags are sold for 10 cents. Be sure to bring a quarter with you, as you need it to get a shopping cart (you get the quarter back when you return the carriage to its proper place).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I went this afternoon and bought a bag of groceries for - gasp - $15. That hasn't happened in a long time!

-A. Nona Mouse

Anonymous said...

I love Aldi's. I do not do any shopping at S&S anymore. The prices are way too high to be affordable, and the self checkout takes away needed jobs. I do all my shopping between Aldi's and Price Chopper in Cromwell (Deli and fresh produce & meat). I would love to see a Price Chopper go in the empty building next to home depot, however I doubt anything will every go in there. I applaud Middletown for finally allowing a third grocery store-

I hope the trend continues in other areas where competition is needed (Middletown needs to watch itself in the area of hardware stores once again) - maybe then more mom & pops can make a come back when prices become competitive once again-

-madamnirvana

Anonymous said...

Recall that it took a bridge for Middletown to get Aldi's. So is it still so bad now that we love shopping there?